These cookies are very similar to the classic Italian wedding cookies. Not too sweet, they are buttery and and crumble to reveal a surprise inside. The almond and chocolate filling makes for a rich, sophisticated treat. As they rest, the flavors mature and they are even tastier the day after.
Yield 36 cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup salted butter
- 2 tablepsoons milk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons mini-chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Process all filling ingredients in a food processor until well combined. Set aside.
- Process all of the dough ingredients in a food processor until they form a ball.
- Roll dough into golf ball sized balls and pinch a hole in the center. Fill with 1/2 teaspoon of filling. Gently seal the ball and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly brown. Roll in powdered sugar while still warm.