- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Sprinkles or sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in dry ingredients and zest. Add enough of the milk to moisten the dough and make it soft, not wet.
- Roll rounded teaspoons of dough into balls and roll in sugar or sprinkles. Place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly golden. Let stand for 2 minutes before removing to cool on a rack.