Martha has done it again. This “toffee” reminds me of the fools toffee (made with saltines) that appears at bake sales across the South. The graham crackers and almonds give it a more grown-up taste. I am a true believer that salt makes everything taste better and salt, chocolate, and caramel is an irresistible combination. Beware- this stuff is like crack and disappears as soon as its cool enough to break apart!
From Martha Stewart
- 13 graham crackers
- 1 bag (8 ounces) toffee bits
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped toasted natural almonds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (4 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, chopped, or chocolate chips
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place graham crackers in a single layer on sheet, edges touching. Sprinkle toffee bits and almonds over graham crackers.
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar and butter to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat and cook at a rapid simmer, swirling pan occasionally, until mixture is syrupy, 2 minutes. Immediately pour over graham crackers. Bake until sugar topping is bubbling, 12 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate and salt over graham crackers. With a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut into 2-inch squares. Let cool completely on sheet on a wire rack. (Store in an airtight container, up to 1 week.)