This shortbread is buttery, toasty and slightly sweet. The oats add depth of flavor and a hint of familiar warmth. These scrumptious bars are wonderful crumbled on top of ice cream or yogurt or dressed up with a drizzle of melted chocolate.
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks cold butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place oats in a food processor and pulse until they resemble coarse flour.
- Add the flour, salt, and sugars and pulse to combine.
- With the food processor running, gradually add in the butter in 1 inch cubes, followed by the vanilla.
- Blend until the mixture comes together in a ball.
- Press the dough into a greased 8 x 8 inch pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares and allow to cool before removing from the pan.