You’ve been warned… this sweet, crunchy treat is utterly addictive. I’ve included two variations: one with popcorn and one with puffed corn. The popcorn version mimics a traditional candy corn and has a familiar brittle crunch. My personal favorite is made with white cheddar puffs. A crisp coating of caramel encases a cloud-like puff and the result is a sweet/salty delicacy that melts on your tongue.
- 2 large bags of popcorn or white cheddar puffed corn (I use Trader Joes brand)
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Melt butter, sugar, and corn syrup in a saucepan until the mixture comes to a boil and froths up. This will take about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the stove and add the baking soda and vanilla.
- Place corn in a large bowl and pour over the hot sugar mixture. Toss to coat and pour the coated corn onto 2 greased, aluminum foil wrapped baking sheets.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool and break apart.