There’s something so refreshing about the tart kiss of lemon. Adding a squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of zest to a sweet, chewy sugar cookie kicks up with flavor and makes for the perfect rainy day treat. These cookies literally melt on your tongue.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest/rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add cooled, melted butter and whisk sugar into it until smooth. Add in egg and egg yolk, mixing to combine, then whisk in vanilla and lemon extracts, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Stir in dry ingredients, mixing until a dough forms.
- Using an ice cream spoon, scoop the dough into golf-ball sized balls and place on a baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until middle is just set an edges are slightly golden.