This is a simple way to dress up green beans for the holidays. Onions are caramelized in balsamic vinegar until they are sweet and succulent and tender portobello mushrooms add richness. The whole dish comes together in minutes and makes a great side dish for everything from the Thanksgiving table to a weeknight meal.
- 1 pound of green beans
- 2 onions sliced into thin slivers
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Place the onions in a medium saucepan and cook on medium heat, covered until the sweat down. Add the balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan and the mushrooms and continue to cook on medium/low for 20-30 minutes or until the onions are soft and brown.
- Blanch the green beans in salted water and add them to the onion mixture. Toss to coat.