These macaroons are one of my all-time favorite cookies. I’ve made a healthified version of coconut macaroons on this blog before but these are a little more decadent for the holidays. They’re dense and chewy and almost fall more into the category of a candy. As they’re baked, the coconut gets golden and caramelized on the outside and remains pale and creamy the inside. They’re great by themselves or you can recreate an a “Mounds” bar by dipping them in dark chocolate.
- 1-1/3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cook egg whites and sugar in a double boiler over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved (8-10 minutes).
- Stir in the salt, vanilla, coconut, and flour and stir until combined.
- Chill the batter at least an hour.
- Using and ice cream scoop, portion the dough onto greased and parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.