These bars are soft, moist, chewy and super simple to make. They come together in one bowl in about five minutes. You can substitute graham flour for an even more authentic s’mores flavor or add peanut butter in place of some of the butter for a fluffernutter spin. The brown sugar gives them a rich caramel flavor. Studded with chunks of dark chocolate and gooey toasted marshmallows, these bars are delicious with or without the campfire.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour minus 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5-6 large marshmallows cut into thirds along the middle
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl melt the butter, about 1 minute on high power.
- Wait momentarily before adding the egg so you don’t scramble it. Add the egg, brown sugar, vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour, corn starch and salt and stir until just combined, don’t overmix.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.
- Place the marshmallow slices and chocolate chunks on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until just set. Allow to cool and cut into bars.