These chicken tenders are crunchy and crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside – they’re a delicious guilt free version of the classic. The tenders are coated in panko breadcrumbs and baked, instead of fried, which greatly reduces they overall fat and calorie content found in regular chicken tenders. You can serve them with your favorite condiment and kids and adults alike will love this twist on a classic comfort food.
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/4 lb. (about 8) chicken tenders
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet lined with foil. Coat with cooking spray.
- Place the whole wheat flour in a medium bowl. In a shallow container, whisk together the eggs and Dijon mustard. In a separate shallow container, combine the panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Working with one chicken tender at a time, dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking off the excess. Next, dip in the egg mixture until the chicken is coated. Last, roll the chicken in the breadcrumb mixture, completely coating the outside.
- Transfer the chicken tenders to the prepared wire rack.
- Lightly coat the chicken tenders with cooking spray. Bake until the chicken is just cooked through and the breadcrumbs are starting to brown, 5 to 6 minutes per side.