These cookies are a great way to use up leftover Halloween candy. You can mix in whatever candy you have on hand but these use classic candy corn. The cookies are soft and buttery and the bits of candy add a pop of sweetness and and chewyness. A tablespoon of cornstarch helps them hold their shape and oatmeal gives them great texture. Thery’re great for a fall day and freeze well to last throughout the holidays!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, soften
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups candy corn (1o to 11 ounces)
- 1/2 cup quick cook oats
- To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or large bowl and electric hand mixer), cream together the first 4 ingredients (through vanilla) on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the next 4 ingredients, and mix on low speed until just incorporated, about 1 minute; don’t overmix.
- Add the candy corn and oats and mix until just incorporated.